Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Tomato Sandwiches - A Southern Summer Favorite

Here in the South we eat tomato sandwiches during our hot, humid summers. There's nothing better than a cold, juicy, fresh tomato, sprinkled with salt and pepper, squished between two pieces of white bread - mayonnaise spread generously on each piece. 

I believe I've mentioned it before, but Virginia has some of the most unbearably humid summers (some people love it - I am not one of them). We also have an extremely bountiful summer crop season. Maybe the humidity is what makes our vegetables, especially our tomatoes, so darn good. I guess I'll settle for some humidity in exchange for delicious tomatoes. 

I've been eating tomatoes - specifically tomato sandwiches - as far back as I can remember. In fact, I don't really remember a life without them! So how do you make the perfect, southern tomato sandwich? I'm so glad you asked. 

Perfect, Southern Tomato Sandwiches (pronounced Tuh-May-Toe Sandwich or May-Ter Sandwich)


What You'll Need To Make Them
  • White Bread (I know white bread is awful for you - simple carb central. This is one instance in which you must make the sacrifice and purchase white bread.)
  • Ripe, Local Tomatoes 
  • Duke's Mayonnaise (Duke's is also your only option. Don't get the olive oil mayonnaise and absolutely, do NOT purchase Miracle Whip. By the way, when you're making this, it's pronounced mayn-aze or mann-aze. Duke's is also used in Potato and Macaroni Salads - pronounced Puh-Tay-Toe Salad.)
  • Salt and Pepper

How To Make Them
  • Slice tomatoes.
  • Spread Duke's on your white bread.
  • Top sauced-up-bread with tomatoes.
  • Sprinkle salt and pepper over tomatoes.
  • Squish slices together, eat, and thank me later.


Since today is my day off, I've spent the morning finishing up lots of projects that I can't wait to share. I was working right along and before I knew it, it was 1:15 and my stomach was having a fit. I looked around and found a bunch of fresh tomatoes on the counter. What to do with them? Obvious answer was tomato sandwiches.

I didn't have any white bread, only white hot dog rolls. Those would definitely work. I also wanted a little kick, so I added Tabasco Sauce to my Duke's.

Slice your 'maters.

Look at that beauty!

Duke's is the only way. I'm telling ya.

Add a little of this bad boy to your Duke's.

Sprinkle our good friends salt and pepper over your sliced 'maters, and add a slice or two of provolone - you know. To get some dairy in.

Now look what we have here! All three of these weren't for me - this doesn't mean I didn't eat them all. Whoops.

Please make them. And think of me when you eat them.


What are some of your Southern favorites? Do any of them include Tabasco?

-Suze

No comments:

Post a Comment