Sunday, August 5, 2012

Fabric Pennant/Banner How-To

When I first moved to the Hampton Roads area for pharmacy school, I rented an apartment and painted my bedroom and living room (with tons of help from my momma) a beautiful caramel/mocha color and a yummy green/yellow color. Since I decided to paint, I didn't see the need for a lot of wall art and such (I know, I know - what was I thinking).

To compliment my comforting caramel/mocha wall color, I chose old furniture that I antiqued to look like beach cottage furniture, a cream quilt, and mixed in chocolate browns, sea ocean blues, and soft green accents.  Upon moving out, I was required per my lease to paint it back (I had intended to stay there longer than a year, but it just wasn't working out). 

I should also probably tell you that the rooms we painted were big huge rooms. So again, with the help of my momma, we painted them back to a gross, move-in-ready shade of white.  

Last year, I moved in with a girl in my class closer to the beach. This time I decided no paint. I would live with white walls (something I've never done until now). My bedroom at the beach is drastically smaller, so it could have been painted easy-peasy but I resisted. As the year progressed, I realized how much stuff I needed for my walls. How bare they were. How non-homey and un-lived in things felt. Yuck. I just don't do non-homey and un-lived in. 

What did I do? I began to fix it! This past Spring, I decided on a series of eight prints from one of my Pinterest boards (yes, picking just eight was tough) that I would DIY for one of my very bare walls. Here's an Instagram of that with some of the decor I mentioned (I promise better pictures soon). I kept with the caramel, brown, blue, green, teal color scheme and kept it fun.


Things are definitely coming along. With that spot taken care of, I still have this one spot above my dresser that is plain and bla and large. Can't have that, so I started brainstorming and pinning. I finally found the piece I needed to complete the spot above my dresser and I absolutely adore it! It has so much meaning and it's cute. What's not to love? 

Am I gonna share it today? No! I'm gonna make you wait until tomorrow. Total bummer, I know. I'm not a total buzz kill though. First I'm gonna show you how I made a banner that goes along with it. I got a little inspiration from these cuties here, here, here, and here.

Simple Fabric Pennant/Banner How-To


What You'll Need To Make It

  • Fabric (your choice of pattern(s) - I used calico prints that I got for a steal at Hobby Lobby - the smallest amount they sell is 1/8 yard if you're wondering)
  • Pattern (sized to your needs)
  • Pinking Shears (or a rotary cutter that cuts the same pattern)
  • Straight Pins
  • Sewing Thread
  • Sewing Needle
  • Iron
  • Bakers Twine (color of your choice)

How To Make It

  • Make a pattern out of paper, sized to your preference (I made two - a triangle and rectangle one. I only ending up using the rectangle one. See dimensions below).
    • Triangle - 3.5" across the base, 4" to the tip.
    • Square - 2.5" x 3.5" - cut triangle on the open end, making your tip 1.25" from the open ended portion of your fabric. 
  • Double fabric over so that only one end is open, pin pattern to fabric, and cut out with pinking shears/rotary cutter so that you have a long rectangle, unfolded or a diamond, unfolded. I cut a total of seven for my banner.
  • Once you cut out your fabric pieces, iron them flat with a hot iron. 
  • Place straight pins throughout your fabric pieces to keep both sides flat and in place while sewing.
  • Mark a line with a white fabric pencil across one side of your fabric, 0.5" from the top.
  • Stitch a back stitch across the top of your fabric creating a pocket (I chose not to sew all the way across mine because of the look I was going for). 
  • After all the fabric pieces are sewn, string bakers twine through the pockets and hang!


Things You'll Need.

Double fabric over, pin pattern to fabric, and cut out with pinking shears.

After your pieces are cut, you'll have something that looks like this.


Iron flat with a hot iron, then pin with straight pins before stitching.

Mark a line with a white fabric pencil 0.5" from the top, and stitch a back stitch forming a pocket.

Hang stitched fabric pieces from bakers twine and love its cuteness to pieces.

I promise to share what it's hanging from, tomorrow. In the meantime, make a banner! It makes any drab, boring spot so much more friendly and welcoming. I promise.

-Suze

No comments:

Post a Comment