Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lycopene Overload

Have you had enough tomatoes yet? Better get your fill - the end of summer is quickly approaching (doing my happy dance over here). Well if you haven't gotten your tomato fix, or you have a ton of tomatoes and nothing to do with them, it appears everyone has been posting recipes about what to do with their excessive tomato supply lycopene overload.

Check out these yummy creations. You'll be glad you did!

For the longest time I associated lycopene with ketchup, and I SHOULD NOT have been (pre bachelor's degree in Human Nutrition). Growing up, my family ate (and still does eat) Heinz ketchup. I always remember the back of the bottle advertising that it was a great serving of lycopene. False. However, it is a daily dose of sodium and high fructose corn syrup. Don't believe me? Check your bottles people!

These days, Heinz makes a Simply Heinz product that contains only the real stuff (they have an organic version too). I'm a sauce gal, so things like this are important to me.

Why is lycopene so important? So glad you asked! The American Dietetic Assocation explains a little about it here and provides various scientific, research journal articles about it's contributions here.

What ya' waiting for? Break out those cutting boards and knives and get slicin' for a real dose of lycopene!

-Suze

No comments:

Post a Comment