Monday, December 31, 2012

Merry CHRISTmas and A Time-Well-Spent New Year!

Well, she's over. Another Christmas has come and gone. Just like that. For me, Christmas isn't about the gifts (and it never should be). I love Christmas because I can do. I can make and do for others. I can have coffee in the early morning by the glow of my tree with my momma. I can eat brunch on Christmas day with my family . . . in my pajamas. 


People ask me every year, "Are you ready for Christmas?" and I'm always like . . . "Yeah." I actually had a conversation with my mom right before Christmas about this because I don't always understand why people are so stressed, even the days leading up to Christmas. We had similar logic, in that so many people still have small children and are trying to meet the typical Christmas demands that seem expected of them as parents. Though I'm an only child, I didn't have huge Christmases growing up. My parents did what they could, but they also constantly reiterated the true meaning of Christmas to me.


I think that's why I harp on the small moments of Christmas and why I soak them up like a sponge - like time together, time spent laboring over cake pops with my momma (haha mom!), or the moment when the Christmas passage from Luke is read aloud during Christmas Eve service, and no matter what, my mom and I always glance at each other mouthing the verses. O - and time spent playing Taboo with my funny hilariously crazy family - I suppose I'll count that too haha!




Despite the awful Sandy Hook losses right before Christmas, I feel it may have triggered a nerve in many families this year. The nerve of - slowing down, savoring moments, remembering what this time of year is all about, and appreciating it as if it won't come around again next year. The nerve of doing, rather than bustling about, breezing in and out of Christmas parties, or forgetting the small moments at each party or get-together.


As the New Year approaches, many resolutions are made and broken. Tonight, as we count down and hurry our way into the coming year, consider making a resolution of time. Not necessarily being on time (because I never am), but making the best of your time. Spend it the best way you know how. Savor every moment, with every person, don't rush it, but reflect on your time and never take it for granted. 


-Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment