Saturday, September 8, 2012

Don't Worry 'Bout A Thing

Hey y'all. 

It's been a little bit, but I guess that's to be expected with everything I have going on. I made it through the first week of classes, and I think I'm really going to enjoy my OTC/non-prescription medication class. 

I'd be lying if I said this week was a cake walk. I had a ton of meetings (which went fine), but Thursday brought a series of mood shifts on the funk. And by funk, I mean depression. I've never been one to say that I've felt depressed. 

In a bad mood, a funk, just bla - yes. Those I've felt, but never depressed. I don't think this will be a chronic thing, but I know I've never felt like I did on Thursday (and never want to again). I think it's a culmination of worry and stress. When things like that happen, I try to calm myself down because I get angry rather than emotionally upset - tears, yada yada, the whole nine. I say things over and over in my mind and I pray. I pray about it because I know things will happen like they should, but I need that little convo with God and myself - talking myself down from anger, from words I can't take back, from the emotional stress of it all, etc. Sometimes, if I need that extra boost, I jump on Pinterest and look at my Words To Live By Board (call me crazy). Words can have such an impact. For real, for real. It's why I have a whole wall of them in my room. Songs do the same thing for me. Couldn't help but listen to this old SHeDAISY song on Friday, circa 2006:

Life is funny, life's a mess
Sometimes a curse, sometimes a blessing
Don't worry 'bout a thing, don't worry 'bout it.
Life gets sticky, life can bruise
Sometimes you win, sometimes you're losing
No matter what it brings
Don't worry 'bout a thing.

Don't Worry 'Bout A Thing - SHeDAISY

To help remedy my mood, I picked up my camera this afternoon. I haven't touched it since my pancakes. Seriously.  Even though these pictures may look slightly crummy, they've helped my mood ten fold. The natural light in my bedroom at the beach is CRUM.MEE. (Oxymoron - poor light at the beach? I know, but my room is on the back of the house and I have just one window. Story on the white walls here.) It is what it is though, and I've been dying to share this (gave a little peak on Instagram).

Y'all know I bought some antique Virginia license plates a couple weekends ago in Staunton for a little wall art that I had in mind. I must say, I LOVE it when things turn out just like I imagine them (I apologize for not having more pictures of the how-to process). 

 

Antique License Plate Wall Art


Things You'll Need

  • Antique license plates (how many is up to you)
  • Hemp Cord, twine, or thin rope of your choosing
  • Hot glue 
  • Scissors
  • Hook for hanging


How To Make It

  • Gather your plates and clean them (mine were yucko!).
  • Thread rope/cord through plates as you choose. I cut four pieces (two for in between each plate), all the same measurements and hot glued the ends together. You won't see the hot glue because it hides just behind the plates.
  • Then I threaded the rope through the holes on the bottom plate and tied together on the backside (kinda wanted everything to look cohesive - as if the rope were threaded through each hole). I trimmed the cord to make sure nothing was peeking out. 
  • I did the same for the top, making sure I left some so that I could hang it. 
    • There are a million ways to thread your rope/twine - play around with it before committing to anything. Do what works for you!
  • Finished! Now hang from a cute hook and enjoy (got this hook on sale for $2.99 at Hobby Lobby - can't beat that!). 

This is the first thing I see every morning - totally in love.



I guess I could file this one in the #enjoyingthesmallthings category. I'm trying to enjoy them because they're all I've got right now. On the flip side, I'm super excited for next weekend to get here. I'll be in Richmond for some down time, and on Sunday I'll be at Byrd Park for the JDRF 5k (my twelve year old cousin was diagnosed with Type I when she was nine).  I hope that a cure for diabetes (and HIV) are discovered in my lifetime. If you're interested in donating/walking, email me!

-Suze

No comments:

Post a Comment