Friday, August 24, 2012

Sunsets, Craft Beer, Food Trucks, and Cupcakes

Happy Friday! I would just like to say, hasn't the weather been absolutely perfect in Virginia this week?! I mean really - August is never like this in Virginia. I'm gonna soak up every ounce of it though. This week has gone by far too fast for me. Next Thursday is my last day at work and I'll be making the small move back to the beach for school during Labor Day weekend - can you say horrific traffic? It's ok though - I can usually bypass it fairly well. 

On Wednesday afternoon/evening I found myself in a mood funk. I was just downright . . . down. Leaving work I realized that the weather was perfect for sitting on a patio somewhere. I had to turn my frown upside down, so I texted my girlfriend Brittany (my sushi date girlfriend) and asked her if she was down for dinner somewhere. We threw around the idea of Bonefish Grill, but settled on The Boathouse at Sunday Park (many of our friends have actually gotten married here and they used to have a pretty spectacular Fourth of July fireworks show). The best part? The Boathouse at Sunday Park is a mere 12 minutes from me and has some gorgeous sunsets - win!

I arrived at Sunday Park and took the scenic stroll past Daniel Butler's gardens (I had my senior pictures taken here) before putting our names in for a table. There's something about Black-Eyed Susans that I'll never be able to pass up.

I rounded the bend and this view was waiting for me - instant mood funk sucked away.

Brit had a glass of Beringer Moscato with Carolina Jumbo Shrimp and a bowl of Eastern Shore Crab and Vegetable Soup. I had their Steamed Pei Mussels and a Baby Iceberg Wedge Salad. I also ordered a bottle of the Jefferson Vineyards Pinot Gris (they do sell it at Whole Foods here in Richmond), had a glass or two, and re-corked for the ride home. It's my favorite wine and it's half off on Wednesdays! Mood funk still being sucked away.

We were dining and chatting when something pranced over and landed near us. This little praying mantis decided to chill at our table with us for a little while. It looks like he's actually praying, or maybe he's thanking Him for this beautiful view. Either way, my mood funk had officially vanished at this point.

Yesterday was a pretty chill day at work and it was beyond needed. O! Did you know that . . .
Borrowed from Star Hill Brewery's page

Yep. August is Virginia Craft Beer Month. So what's a girl to do? How about Food Truck Court at Hardywood Park Craft Brewery? Why yes, I think I will.

Last night, my girlfriend Kelly and I ventured over to Hardywood after work to check out the food trucks, some brews, and to enjoy another beautiful evening in Richmond of course! If you don't know anything about food trucks, I'm certain this show might give you an idea. Some of the food trucks that participate in Food Truck Court actually set up camp around the hospital downtown. They sell their delicious goodies to hospital, city hall, and capitol employees, as well as regular 'ol city patrons. Their food is delicious and pretty inexpensive. Can you say score?

Here's a peek at our evening.




Thai Cabin, Chupacabra, and Mister Softee Soft Serve.

Boka Tako.

Kelly got Lettuce Wraps from Thai Cabin.

I got "The Gauntlet" from Boka Tako. It was awesome. Left = Asian, Right = American, Top = Mexican (I think).


 We ventured inside for some brews.





1. Singel   2. SB 604   3. DIPA   4. Bourbon DIPA 
The Singel and the Bourbon DIPA were my favorites. I had really wanted to try the Virginia Blackberry, but they were out. 

Found some of this clever signage while waiting for the restroom. Beer Master. "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Suggested Receptacles for the Drinking of Beer.

Can't wait to try their Mocha Belgique (and their Farmhouse Pumpkin and Gingerbread Stout)!

Sitting at the picnic table enjoying beers, weather, and company - Flynn's has Sweetater Fries!

The evening was a blast! Such a family friendly event. If brews aren't your thing, Food Truck Court also visits the Virginia Historical Society on weeknights.

To round out the evening and to compliment my Bourbon DIPA, I had to have this guy. A Cinnamon Pumpkin Spice Cupcake (Fall, in your mouth) from RVA Vegan.

Some other food carts in attendance last night: Station 2, Pizza Tonight, Rooster Cart, and Sustenance. Maybe if craft brews are your thing, you could also check out Star Hill Brewery, Blue Mountain Brewery, or Beach Brewing Company - all in the beautiful state of Virginia!

Have a wonderful weekend! I'm headed to Charlotesville/Staunton to hang with my girlfriend, her man, and a presh yittle boy named Ryder!

-Suze

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a delicious time ;) The food looks soooo yummy and that second picture you posted is absolutely drop dead gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ash - Thank you! It's the simple things in life isn't it??

      Delete