Friday, February 14, 2014

Baked King Cake Doughnuts {Doughnut Diaries}

So on Sunday, I'm headed to New Orleans.

For an interview that I have on Monday. 

Just a few days before my birthday.

The weekend that Mardi Gras parades start.

I'M.SO.EXCITED.

Sorry to shout. 

If you follow me on Instagram, I'm just giving you a heads up but I most certainly will not apologize for this -- prepare yourselves for a New Orleans food tour. It's going down. I may have been slightly obnoxious the other day when grabbing lunch with a colleague at McAllister's. They have a muffaletta on their menu that sounded pretty good, but then I was all, "Why ruin a muffeletta for myself when I can be enjoying the best.muffalettas.ever in insertnumberofdayshere."

It happened. It's ok, you can throw shade. 

So what's on my food tour list? O, you know -- Gumbo, shrimp po' boys, beignets, Hurricanes, muffalettas, boudin, gator, oysters, crawfishAbita, an Old Fashioned and Sazerac, and all the sights and sounds like Tabasco Country Store, the Mississippi River, French Market, Saint Louis Cathedral, Marie Laveau's tomb, the Natchez, Bourbon Street, parades, and so.much.more. This actually isn't my first trip to the Crescent City, there are just so many things I want to do but time simply won't permit. Hopefully I'll be able to visit all the things I want at leisure if I end up in the Big Easy!

While playing the waiting game, I've attempted to immerse myself in all things New Orleans. Before you know it, those gaudy, pre-fab, King Cakes will be hitting grocery store shelves near you. May I suggest another alternative? How about making your own BAKED KING CAKE DOUGHNUTS???

Sorry -- I'm shouting again. But for reals though -- King Cake is actually quite delicious and the tradition behind its existence is pretty awesome too. Which version is accurate, I do not know but you can read about its history here, here, here, and here.  

Where was I? O. Right. Baked King Cake Doughnuts. Would you believe Krispy Kreme even has their own version?? I can assure you that those babies ain't baked! To round out all things King Cake, I should also mention that Blue Bell makes Mardi Gras King Cake Ice Cream. I haven't had any luck finding it in Virginia, but I expect it's a regional flavor. Maybe I'll swing through a convenience store and snag a pint since I'll probably be famished while in New Orleans . . . HA! 


Why didn't I just make the normal King Cake ring? Well, because. Yeast. Know what I ain't got time for? 

That. I do not have time for that. Cue the doughnut pan.

Baked King Cake Doughnuts 


What You'll Need (~ 6-10 doughnuts, depending on how much you fill each cavity)
    Doughnuts (adapted from Fit, Fun & Delish who adapted them from Ina's Foolproof)
  • Baking spray
  • 1 C flour all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 C sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 C + 1 tbsp. whole milk
  • 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

    Frosting (adapted from theKitchn who snagged it from Cooking Up A Storm)
  • 1 & 1/2 C confectioners sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 2 - 3 tbsp. almond milk
  • Purple, green, and gold sprinkles/sugar -- optional, but suggested!
  • Plastic babies (found in the Mardi Gras/baby shower section(s) at Party City)

How To Make Them
    Doughnuts
  • Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two doughnut pans (6 cavities each) with baking spray and set aside.
  • In a large mixing bowl, mix your dry ingredients. 
  • In a small mixing bowl, mix your wet ingredients.
  • Add your wet mixture into your dry mixture and mix until just combined.
  • Spoon your doughnut mixture into each cavity, filling each one about 3/4 full.
  • Bake for 15-17 minutes or until doughnuts are lightly brown on top/toothpick pulls clean.
  • Cool in pans for five minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack.

    Frosting
  • While your doughnuts are baking, mix together your ingredients for the frosting.
  • After doughnuts have cooled in the pan for five minuets and on a cooling rack for five minutes, dip your doughnuts into the glaze and sprinkle with purple, green, and gold sprinkles/sugar, etc. Plop your plastic babies in the center and bam. Done!
  • Tip -- If your frosting is too thin, add more confectioners sugar. If your frosting is too thick,  add more almond milk. Taste and adjust accordingly. 

Isn't that cinnamon/almond combo just divine!


Happy carnival season, peeps! Geaux enjoy some King Cake Doughnuts!

-Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment