Tuesday, April 30, 2013

30 Day {Green} Smoothie Challenge! - Health is Happiness

Happy Tuesday y'all! It's a dreary one here, but these are the kind of days that I like best (I know you're thinking -- what a crazy). 

Ok. I'm just gonna go ahead and say it -- my stress level is at a 2 out of 10 right now. For those that know me -- this is big. I have officially finished the didactic portion of my pharmacy schooling (3 years in the making, baby) and will tentatively begin my clinical rotations on June 2nd. I have been looking forward to this day since 2006. Upon starting my college career, my goal was to get a degree and get into pharmacy school. I never in a million years actually thought that it would all fall into place. Seriously. 

How come? Getting into pharmacy school is hard pretty much a 50/50 chance. These days, it's just as competitive (if not more) as getting into medical/dental school. I remember sitting in orientation for pharmacy school back in September 2010, and thought, "This is going to be the longest four years of my life." Well, they have been the longest three years -- no doubt about it. But . . . they're done. Behind me. Never will I have to step foot in a classroom again -- unless I decide that teaching torturing could be a forte of mine :) just kidding. But not really. 

The next year is going to fly by though, and I'm going to learn just as much as I have in the past three years. I'm most excited about starting my rotations because I can finally get back into a normal routine. A normal workout schedule any workout schedule for that matter. No more late nights with my hand stuck in the Cheez-It box. No more early mornings that could have been devoted to high intensity cardio, but instead were dedicated to mastering cardiac therapeutics. No more feelings of wanting to drown exam outcomes in food/alcohol -- well, that may not necessarily be true, but you get the idea. 

The point? I'm free.

Where's this going? I'm glad you asked. I was on IG the other day and stumbled across this:

I did a quick screen shot of it so that I could revisit it later. I kinda do that a lot -- screen shot, purge, look through them all, and add to my laundry list of favorites.  

How cool is this though? Who doesn't love smoothies?! 

Keiran definitely encourages green smoothies for the challenge, but slowly introducing greens is definitely a better fit for some. For many, the idea of putting greens (kale, spinach, arugula) in their smoothies is a complete and absolute turn-off. I totally understand that but if people understood that you don't taste them and that they are such a huge boost nutritionally -- they'd be on board. 

After I tracked down Keiran's Health is Happiness page and the Lululemon Facebook post, I decided this would be a great way for me to get back on track.

I registered for the emails on the HIH page and received my first one this morning. It was mostly just a list of tips for shopping/fruit storage so that you can successfully accomplish the 30 Day Smoothie Challenge.

I love green smoothies but when it's cold outside, it's hard for me to make them in the mornings. Totally a psychological thing -- spring and summer I have no problem making them everyday. Well, spring sprung in Virginia a couple weeks ago (still have a few lingering chilly mornings), so I started making them again. I don't know if it was just the timing of things (not being as stressed with school or being in the middle of a "cycle"), but my skin has been so clear the past few weeks. I definitely think that's due to the two handfuls of spinach and heaping teaspoonful of coconut oil that I've been putting in my smoothies every morning. 

Sooo who's in? Who wants to do the 30 Day Smoothie Challenge with me? If greens aren't your thing, I get it. Start small -- first, try fruit smoothies with minimal amounts of added sugar, then begin to introduce greens in small amounts. If for some reason you think you really can taste the "earthiness" associated with greens, try tossing in a teaspoon or so of a nut butter (almond, peanut, etc. with minimally added sweeteners). Nut butters have an awesome way of masking the taste of things, and they are an added nutritional benefit to your smoothies (fiber, protein, and "good fats" like your PUFAs and MUFAs = polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats). If you're worried about your blender not being good enough, don't. You don't need a super fancy/expensive blender to add these healthy smoothies to your daily routine! 

If you're stumped for recipes, I've done a little homework for you:
A personal favorite, Brittany's Green Elvis

I don't know what you're waiting on -- get your shopping list together and get to the store already! If you do decide to join the challenge and are on IG, make sure you use the hashtag #hihsmoothiechallenge and/or tag @healthishappiness. 

Sharing your concoctions with me is also encouraged :) 

-Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment